Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rocky Mounting High

I was going to post last night's recap earlier but I was distracted by the Devils game and I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone after Johan's easy 4-0 win today.

Oops.

To quote the late great Chris Penn in "Reservoir Dogs", first thing's fuckin' last. Dillon Gee provided a nice bounce back game on Saturday, giving up four runs in seven innings and Lucas Duda supplied the offense with four RBI. Tejada, Murphy, and Wright also contributed with three hits each.

Now let's get to today's game. Santana was in cruise control, going 6 scoreless on 90 pitches. The offense knocked Jamie Moyer around but couldn't land the knockout blow. I could bitch about the high LOB number but a 4-0 lead is still 4-0 and it SHOULD have been enough.

Here's my problem. The Mets bullpen got fucking TORCHED on Friday, so wouldn't it have made sense not to go to them again so quickly, especially with a dominant Santana on the mound? I know he's coming off an injury but let's not act like 90 pitches is 120.

So of course, the inevitable happens. The Rockies load up the bases in the 8th before Deer Meat Lover Todd Helton hits a game-tying PH slam off Tim Byrdak.

The Mets fight back and score a run in the top of the 9th before Frank Fuckcisco grooved up a game-tying HR to Carlos Gonzalez.  Again, why is a team that's pinching pennies handing out two-year deals to failed closers?  I'll never understand that.

The Mets wound up winning the game in the 10th but this was the rare win that just annoyed me. It shouldn't have been this close, it should have been a nice easy Sunday rocking chair-type win.

Fuckers.

Game 21: Mets 7, Rockies 5

Game 22: Mets 6, Rockies 5

Mets 2012 record: 13-9

2 comments:

  1. In all fairness, this was Johan's first start on four days all season. He had pitched every sixth day before today.

    But I don't believe in fairness. Apparently, neither does home plate umpire Paul Emmel, who robbed Jon Rauch of what should have been an inning-ending strikeout. Be afraid, Paul Emmel. Jon Rauch doesn't forgive or forget. He's coming for you harder than Pete Rose at Dave Pallone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm just saying that I wish Johan could have at least started the 7th.

    And the 14 LOB really chafed my hide.

    ReplyDelete