Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Where Have You Gone, Kevin Costner?

After seeing my most recent post here and "The Bodyguard" clips running 24/7 after the death of Whitney Houston, I started to think about what the fuck happened to Kevin Costner.  I mean this is someone who DOMINATED Hollywood in every possible way.  Look at this filmography from 1987 to 1993:

  • The Untouchables
  • No Way Out
  • Bull Durham
  • Field of Dreams
  • Dances With Wolves (An Oscar he shouldn't have won but that's for another time)
  • Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
  • JFK
  • The Bodyguard
  • A Perfect World (highly recommended, check it out) 

And then... nothing. "Tin Cup" was fun, "For The Love of the Game" had its moments, but it's been mostly miss for him since '94.  It's easy to blame "Waterworld" for his slump but there's something bigger going on here.  In 1993, Costner turned down the lead in "Tombstone" because he didn't like the direction of the movie. He wanted it more Earp-centric so he wound up making "Wyatt Earp" a year later.  When you turn down the chance to work with Val Kilmer in what was probably the most underrated role of the last 30 years, you deserve what you get.

Really though, I've always been a Costner fan. I really hope his next role in the Superman reboot "Man of Steel" is his ticket back to Hollywood.

2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people would want to blame "The Postman," but I liked that movie. I thought it was an entertaining post-Apocalyptic story.

    Was it a movie that changed my life? No. It was just entertaining. But I don't look for ever film I see to have that effect.

    I mean this move had Tom Petty, Will Patton, and the guy who would go on to MASTER the role of Kruger from Kruger's Industrial Smoothing,

    "Ride on, Postman... Ride on!"

    (Is that the movie's tagline? I'm not sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin Costner hasn't been gone from Hollywood!!
    His fans who keep up with his work have enjoyed:
    Message In A Bottle (Warner Bros)
    Thirteen Days (New Line)
    Dragonfly (Universal)
    Open Range (which he directed) (Touchstone)
    The Upside Of Anger (New Line)
    Rumor Has It (Warner Bros)
    The Guardian (Touchstone)
    Mr. Brooks (MGM)
    Swing Vote (Touchstone)
    The New Daughter (Anchor Bay)
    The Company Men (Weinstein Co)
    And soon to be seen in the History Channel's 'Hatfields and McCoys' 3 part mini-series starting Memorial Day.
    Costner has said that he has 3 or 4 movies he'd like to make but needs just the right people for financing to make them.

    ReplyDelete