Saturday, June 2, 2012

But nooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've been trying to come up with the right words for what happened last night with Johan Santana and the Mets.

I wrote earlier in the week how I've been spoiled with other sports. You can call me a dick, but I know how to react to my team winning the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, and at one time, the World Series. But I have no idea how to react to a no-hitter by the Mets. Over 8,000 games and a pitching lineage of Seaver, Koosman, Gooden, Cone, Pedro, and it never happened.  It's fitting that someone of Santana's caliber finally got it done. Miguel Batista getting the franchise's first no-hitter just seems wrong but almost expected, given the craziness that has surrounded this team since 1962.

But it happened last night and I still can't believe it. No matter what happens the rest of the season (and who knows what to expect from Johan after a career-high 134 pitches), nothing or no one can take away the experience of finally seeing something I thought would never happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment